Sedation Dentistry in Gonzalez
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is medically induced relaxation that accompanies a dental procedure. Sedation can be used for a variety of reasons from helping patients with dental anxiety to making long, complex procedures easier to tolerate.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry provides a variety of benefits for patients, including:
- Reduced dental anxiety. If you or your child has any dental anxiety, whether mild or severe, sedation will help you feel more relaxed. There’s no need to fear your dental procedure when sedation is available.
- Increased comfort. Sedation allows you to feel more comfortable during your procedure, especially if it is complex and may take a while. You’ll be a little less aware of how much time passes.
- Faster recovery. Being more relaxed during dental procedures prevents the tendency to tense up. When your jaw and facial muscles are more relaxed, you may experience less pain afterward and recover more quickly.
Types of Sedation Offered
There are a few different forms of sedation used in dentistry, and our office uses two main forms: nitrous oxide and oral sedation.
- Nitrous oxide is a gas that is administered through a mask you wear over your nose. As you breathe it provides a euphoric, calm feeling. It is sometimes referred to as “laughing gas” though very few patients have experienced that effect. Nitrous oxide allows you to be awake for dental procedures but feels more relaxed.
- Oral sedation comes in a pill or liquid form. You take the medication before you arrive for your procedure so it has time to take effect. Oral sedation provides a clam or even sleepy feeling that will wear off a few hours after your procedure. You will need a loved one to drive you to and from your appointment.
Why Choose Byron R. Rome, DDS?
Sedation dentistry is safe for most patients, but it is still important that sedation is only used under the supervision of an experienced dentist. As a board-certified dentist, Dr. Rome safely administers sedation for patients who request it to help them relax during their procedure. Our dental team takes every measure to make sure you are comfortable.